Ethiopia, located in Africa, has numerous tourist attraction sites. The country attracts tourists from all over the world. Some of the attractions in Ethiopia include:
- The Great Ethiopian Run: This attracts thousands of runners from around the world. In Addis Ababa, the 10 kilometres run offers travellers a unique opportunity to explore the Ethiopian Capital.
- The Erta Ale Volcano: It’s a top attraction site for adrenaline seekers. Continuously an active volcano, it’s located in the middle of a desert in North-East Ethiopia.
- Ganna Celebrations: This annual holiday is the equivalent of Christmas. Celebrated on January 7th, the holiday provides insight into the culture and religion of the Ethiopian people.
Other tourist attraction sites include a visit to the town of Turmi, the celebration of Ethiopia’s New Year (Enkutatash), visiting the Arba Minch and Nechisar National Parks, the Irreecha festivals, among others.
As you get ready to plan your holiday or vacation, this article provides a guide on how to go about applying for your Ethiopian visa.
|Requirement type||Mandatory for UK travellers|
|Purpose of travel||Tourism, family visits|
|Valid||Up to 90 days. However, you can extend your visa if you are still in Ethiopia. You do this by visiting the Main Immigration and Nationality Affairs Office in Addis Ababa. You count this validity from the date you intend to arrive in Ethiopia and not the issue date.|
|Entry/exit||Single entry Visas expire upon leaving Ethiopia. To reenter Ethiopia as a UK citizen, you will have to re-apply for the visa.|
|Processing time||Standard processing: One to three business days (24-72 hours)
Urgent processing: Within 24 hours
|Cost||This depends on the length of your stay and the processing time.
All these costs are for 30 day Visas. 90-day visas cost more.
|Application method||Online only|
|Payment method||Visa, Mastercard, JCB, PayPal,|
What Is Ethiopian Visa?
The Ethiopian Visa is an electronic document. It acts as travel authorization allowing visitors to enter the Eastern African country. Previously, travellers had to visit Ethiopian Embassies, consulates, or queue at the border to acquire a visa. However, the eVisa has eliminated this need.
The eVisa is available to all citizens of all countries, including UK citizens. The service has accelerated the visa acquisition process for Ethiopia. Part of the process involves answering several standard questions.
Types of Ethiopian Visa
The Ethiopian eVisa is ideal for tourism and family visits. Ethiopia also offers:
- Tourist Visas: This is for individuals travelling for pleasure and leisure
- Business visas: This is for persons travelling to Ethiopia for business, employment or volunteer work
- Journalist visas: This is for journalists, photographers and filmmakers travelling to Ethiopia to cover a specific report or story
- Transit visas: This is for persons passing through Ethiopia on their way to another destination
For more information about the different types of Ethiopia visas, check out the Ethiopian Embassy Consular Services Page.
Requirements for Obtaining an Ethiopian Visa
To be eligible to get an Ethiopian visa, applicants must have a passport valid for at least six months. Kindly note that when you leave Ethiopia, your single entry visa expires. Some of the basic requirements to get an Ethiopian visa include:
- Passport validity indicating at least 6 months from the day of planned travel to Ethiopia
- A scanned copy of your passport’s biographical page
- If applicable, a copy of your residency card
- A recent color passport size photograph (Dimensions: 51mm x 51mm). The front view must have a clear full face starting from the top of the hairline to your chin. Your eyes must also be open
- If travelling with an eVisa, you must enter the country through Bole International Airport
- An email address
- A debit or credit visa card processing and payment
Your passport should:
- Be valid or at least have 6 months
- Have at least two blank pages left
- Allow you to travel to Ethiopia using an eVisa
If travelling with an Emergency Travelling Document (ETD), you should check with the authorities in your country to see whether the documents are acceptable in Ethiopia.
Ethiopian authorities acknowledge ETDS, but they cannot guarantee that they will grant you entry into the country.
Documents Required and Personal Information
To complete the online application, you have to provide some personal information. Some of the information required includes:
- Your name
- Date of birth
- Passport details
- Health information, and
Other documents necessary for Visa application include:
- A Certificate for Yellow Fever Vaccination
- Travel insurance
- The latest bank statement indicating sufficient source of funds
- The latest bank statement indicating sufficient source of funds
It’s essential to consult with your country’s health professionals to get information regarding Ethiopia’s vaccine recommendations, health risks and outbreaks.
You should do this at least 8 weeks before travelling. More importantly, to protect your health, always check travel advice to make sure you adhere and follow all health and safety precautions.
Who Needs an Ethiopian Visa?
Citizens from all countries need an Ethiopian Visa to travel to Ethiopia. However, this does not apply to Kenyan and Djibouti Citizens. Kenyans can visit Ethiopia without a visa for periods of up to one year. Djibouti citizens can enter Ethiopia for a period not exceeding 3 months without a permit.
All UK citizens planning to visit Ethiopia have to acquire an e visa. The visa is valid for 30 days. A 90-day visa is also available upon application.
How Long Does the Ethiopian Visa Last?
The Ethiopian eVisa is valid for 30 to 90 days after arrival. This is dependent on your selection during the application process. However, visas on arrival are valid for up to three months. They are also single-entry visas.
If you want to stay in Ethiopia longer, you have to physically visit the immigration office three days before your visa expiry to renew your visa.
How Long Does It Take to Get an Ethiopian Visa?
Application for an online visa takes approximately less than 10 minutes. However, the processing of an Ethiopian Visa takes between 12 hours to 72 hours. Upon completion of the application, you receive an email notification with details of your application progress.
How Much Does an Ethiopian Visa Cost?
The length of your stay and the processing time determines the cost of your visa application. For standard processing, the total cost amounts to £ 73.82. To get your visa within two business days, you pay £ 99.28. If you need it within 12 hours, the total cost of processing is 128.98 Euros.
- When leaving and or entering Ethiopia, it is illegal to carry over 1000 Ethiopian Birr
- You must declare cash over 3000 dollars or their equivalent in local currency to customs officials
- Ethiopian authorities prohibit working or taking up any employment if you are travelling using a tourist visa
- You cannot change your immigration status
- If you are travelling with minors, you will need to apply for their eVisa separately regardless of age
- If you plan to travel to Ethiopia from the UK, you must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 RT PCR test issued within the previous 120 hours. You must self-quarantine for 7 days.
Plan Your Ethiopian Holiday Today
Get ready for adventure while exploring this amazing country and its rich culture and heritage and sample incredible cuisine. Stay updated with Ethiopia Visa requirements and start preparing your journey here.